Date of Last Revision: July 15, 2015
We give you the power to make friends with local interests anywhere you go. This policy describes what information we collect and how it is used and shared. The following, known as "Pingwheel Services" or "Services", applies to
Pingwheel.com, Pingwheel LLC and all affiliated products and services that the company provides.
I. What kinds of information do we collect?
Depending on which Services you use, we collect different kinds of information from and/or about you.
Things you do and information you provide. We collect the content and other information you provide when you use our Services, including: when you sign up for an account, fill out your common interests during registration, and message or interact with others. This can include: information in or about the content you provide, such as your tastes, preferences, comments, statuses, likes and ups. We also collect information about how you use our Services, such as the types of content you view, the people you engage with, the plans your participate in and the frequency and duration of your activities.
Other Pingwheel Users and their information. We also collect content and information that other people provide when they use our Services, including information about you, such as when they share a photo of you, send a message to you, or upload, sync or import your contact information.
Meet People and Greet Connections. We collect information about the people and groups you are connected to and how you interact with them, such as the people you communicate with the most or the groups you like to share with.
Your Plans. We collect information about the plans that you make, and who you make them with, invite, or rescind invitations from.
Device information. We collect information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access our Services, depending on the permissions you' ve granted. We may associate the information we collect from your different devices, which helps us provide consistent Services across your devices. Here are some examples of the information we collect:
Attributes such as:
- The operating system
- Hardware version
- Device settings
- File and software names and types
- Battery and signal strength
- And device identifier
Device locations, including:
- Specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals
Connection information such as:
- The name of your mobile operator or ISP
- Browser type
- Mobile phone number
- And IP address
II. How do we use this information?
Our goal at Pingwheel is to personalize your social life. We use all of the information we have to help us provide and support our Services. Here's how:
- Connection Suggestions. We use information we have to provide personalized and accurate connection suggestions to you. For example, we are able to suggest connections based on common interests, personality and proximity.
- Personalized Services. We are able to create, deliver and provide personalized content, and make suggestions for you by using this information to understand how you use and interact with our Services and the people or things you're connected to and interested in on and off our Services. We conduct surveys and research based on your common interests to constantly improve our suggestions. We also test features in development, and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new products or features, and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities. When we have location information, we use it to tailor our Services for you and others.
- Communicate with you. We use your information to send you marketing communications, profile notifications, communicate with you about our Services and let you know about our policies and terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
- Show and measure ads and services. We use the information we have to improve our advertising and measurement systems so we can show you relevant ads, on and off our Services and measure the effectiveness and reach of ads and services.
- Promote safety and security. We use the information we have to help verify accounts and activity, and to promote safety and security on and off of our Services, such as by investigating suspicious activity or violations of our terms or policies.
III. How is this information shared?
Sharing On Our Services
People use our Services to connect and share with others. We make this possible by sharing your information in the following ways:
- People you share and communicate with.
- When you share and communicate using our Services, you choose the audience who can see what you share. For example, when you post on Pingwheel, you select the audience for the post, like your friends and connections. When you chat, you also choose the people you interact and correspond with.
When you share and communicate using our Services, you choose the audience who can see what you share. For example, when you post on Pingwheel, you select the audience for the post, like your friends and connections. When you chat, you also choose the people you interact and correspond with.
Public information is any information you share with a public audience, as well as information in your public profile, which was added during the registration process. In addition, any content you share in a public forum, including liking, commenting or upping on Pingwheel. Public information is available to anyone on or off our Services and can be seen or accessed through online search engines, APIs, and offline media, such as on TV.
In some cases, people you share and communicate with may download or re-share this content with others, on and off our Services. When you comment on another person's post or like their content on Pingwheel, that person decides the audience who can see your comment or like. If their audience is public, your comment will also be public.
People that see content others share about you. Other people may use our Services to share content about you with the audience they choose. For example, people may share a photo of you, mention or share information about you that you shared with them. If you have concerns with someone's post, social reporting is a way for people to quickly and easily ask for help from someone they trust.
Apps, websites and third-party integrations on or using our Services. When you use third-party apps, websites or other services that use, or are integrated with, our Services, they may receive information about what you post or share. Information collected by these apps, websites or integrated services is subject to their own terms and policies.
- New owner. If the ownership or control of all or part of our Services or their assets changes, we may transfer your information to the new owner.
Sharing With Third-Party Partners and Customers
We work with third party companies who help us provide and improve our Services, including advertisers and developers who use our platform, which makes it possible to operate our companies and provide free services to people around the world.
Here are the types of third parties we share information with about you:
- Advertising, Measurement and Analytics Services (Non-Personally Identifiable Information Only). We want our advertising to be as relevant and interesting as the other information you find on our Services. With this in mind, we use all of the information we have about you to show you relevant ads. We do not share information that personally identifies you (personally identifiable information is information like name or email address that can by itself be used to contact you or identifies who you are) with advertising, measurement or analytics partners unless you give us permission. We may provide these partners with information about the reach and effectiveness of their advertising without providing information that personally identifies you, or if we have aggregated the information so that it does not personally identify you. For example, we may tell an advertiser how its ads performed, or how many people viewed their ads or installed an app after seeing an ad, or provide non-personally identifying demographic information (such as 25 year old female, in Madrid, who likes software engineering) to these partners to help them understand their audience or customers, but only after the advertiser has agreed to abide by our advertiser guidelines.
Please review your advertising preferences to understand why you're seeing a particular ad on Pingwheel. You can adjust your ad preferences if you want to control and manage your ad experience on Pingwheel.
- Vendors, service providers and other partners. We transfer information to vendors, service providers, and other partners who globally support our business, such as providing technical infrastructure services, analyzing how our Services are used, measuring the effectiveness of ads and services, providing customer service, facilitating payments, or conducting academic research and surveys. These partners must adhere to strict confidentiality obligations in a way that is consistent with this Data Policy and the agreements we enter into with them.
III. How is this information shared?
You can manage the content and information you share when you use Pingwheel through the Activity Log tool. You can also download information associated with your Pingwheel account through our
Download Your Information tool.
We store data for as long as it is necessary to provide products and services to you and others, including those described above. Information associated with your account will be kept until your account is deleted, unless we no longer need the data to provide products and services.
You can delete your account any time. When you delete your account, we delete things you have posted, such as your photos and status updates. If you do not want to delete your account, but want to temporarily stop using Pingwheel, you may deactivate your account instead. To learn more about deactivating or deleting your account, click here. Keep in mind that information that others have shared about you is not part of your account and will not be deleted when you delete your account.
V. How do we respond to legal requests or prevent harm?
We may access, preserve and share your information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards. We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. For example, we may provide information to third-party partners about the reliability of your account to prevent fraud and abuse on and off of our Services. Information we receive about you, including financial transaction data related to purchases made with Pingwheel, may be accessed, processed and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm. We also may retain information from accounts disabled for violations of our terms for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other violations of our terms.
VI. How will we notify you of changes to this policy?
We'll notify you before we make changes to this policy and give you the opportunity to review and comment on the revised policy before continuing to use our Services.
VII. How to contact Pingwheel with questions